Monday, June 22, 2009

Christian Update

I know everyone has been waiting patiently for a blog update. Sorry about the crazy. We leave for pageant on Thursday and my thesis has consumed every second of my life. The good news is that I successfully defended today and turned in all my paperwork and fee's. I am now set to graduate in December, but my degree will post for the summer and I will hopefully be allowed to teach at Utah State!! Wahoo!! What a week.
We have been waiting for Christian to contact us so we had a mailing address and I promised to post his letters here for everyone. If you do write him, please remember that because of his security clearance, someone else will read everything coming and going. Don't write anything you don't want the government to know about! :)
His address is:
PVT Nielson, Christian
D-CO 3/60th INF RGMT
2nd PLT Mad Dawgs
Fort Jackson, SC 29027
Also, please do not send him anything that will set him apart from the others in his platoon. He gets disciplined for that (just in case you were hoping to smuggle him some cookies or something!)
Here is his letter:
Dear (everyone)
Hey! How's it going? It's going great over here. I've done loads of things. I've repelled and did the rope victory tower thing. I've stuck a person with a needle and they got to stick me, but I bled a lot. Then I was a demo for the time she let me bleed for like three minutes, and it wasn't just a little bit but it was gushing out and sorry to say a band aid or duct tape couldn't fix it.
We are getting ready to do the gas chamber. I'm nervous but it's okay. I don't ever remember it being this hot. We went running and it felt like I got out of the shower. So when you guys go to New York, make sure you drink lots of water. I am doing a lot better on that one so you don't have to worry about that.
Physical Training (p/t) is hard but I'm doing it. I'm learning a lot but all those classes kinda screwed me up cause now I', ahead and helping soldiers out. (He was able to complete a bunch of online modules before he left and receive a promotion before he ever left for basic.)
Graduation is sometime in the beginning of August. I already have your pictures if you want them, but you might need to help pay for them cause it was expensive. They are good ones and you don't have to get them if you don't want to.
I hope you guys are safe. . . I'm going to need that address for the pageant so I can write you guys. If there is ever an emergency and you need to get a message to me, contact the Red Cross and tel them where I am and you will get a hold of me ASAP. I don't know when I'm going to be able to write you but I have to go. I have to wake up at 2:30 a.m. to do my land mine thing at night. Then we have some more things to do like throw grenades:) but anyway, let me know as soon as possible if you are going to come out and see me graduate!!
Your Son, and brother,
Chris (or PVT Nielson)

I hope you enjoy the letter. I copied it word for word-even if it didn't apply to everyone. I will do this for every letter I receive. I also got a letter from the Seventy office in Salt Lake regarding Chris. It stated that:
"We understand that Christian has joined the military and is attending basic training at Ft. Jackson, SC. We are pleased to inform you that he has been attending the Church services on base are are grateful for the spirit he brings to the meetings. President Robinson is the Church leader at Ft. Jackson and will do all he can to help strengthen Christian's faith and testimony. We appreciate your support and know you join with us in asking that the Lord will guide and protect him during this time of uncertainty and turmoil in the world
In these troubled times, it is heartwarming to see sons and daughters courageously step forward to help preserve our freedom and way of life. You can be proud of the part you played in molding Christian's character. Courage and patriotism do not come automatically; they are planted in the hearts of children by their parents. We express our gratitude to you for your selfless service in his behalf.
We have a deep and abiding interest in Christian's welfare and want to ensure the blessings of Church membership are available wherever he is stationed. As military members move around, occasionally they are unable to find out where and when the Church meetings are held. Our Military Relations Division can assist them. Likewise, we are able to help concerned parents locate the bishop or branch president where their son or daughter is stationed. In addition, many times we can assist in locating the name of a group leader aboard a ship or at a deployed location around the world.
If you have any questions . . . We know that the Lord is mindful of Christian and the challenges he will face as he valiantly serves in the military.
Sincerely,
Robert C. Oaks.

It was a lovely letter and then I got a phone call from Chris the next day-right in the middle of sacrament meeting on Father's Day- but hey when you get the chance to call your mother, the mother takes the call!!
We had a long and loving conversation and he really seems to be doing well. He likes (gasp!!) all of his drill Sargent's. He says as long as you do as they say, when they say to do it, they all get along fine.
I know you all are helping support him in your thoughts and prayers. We have felt your love and support in this decision of his, and let me tell you all-THANK YOU!!!!! We could not do be military parents without support from our families and friends.
I will keep you informed as I get information, but be prepared-he is not a great correspondent! It could be scarce!
We love you all and thank you. I will try to post (complete with pictures) from New York as the month of July progresses!

4 comments:

boteen said...

Wow Jenn, I am impressed with your son. It takes a special person to have the conviction to do what he is doing. I am glad you are going to keep us updated. Have fun in New York. I know you will be busy, but I also know you will have an amazing experience, again. Love ya all.

bobandhaley said...

I bet that was cool to get a letter from the 70. Sounds like he is doing well. Congratulations on finishing your Thesis! And have so much fun at the Pageant!

Jules said...

Thanks for the updates! It was great to hear from him. We've been wondering about him.

Thanks again for Chitty! Congrats on the thesis, and have a great time at pageant!

Mom C said...

Sounds pretty intense. Hope he continues to enjoy what he is doing. Congratulations on finishing your Masters. That's cool. Have fun at the pagent! Love Aunt Debbie