Sunday, October 7, 2012

October

As I sit in my living room this morning, listening to LDS General Conference, I felt I needed to talk about traditions. My mother's family is of Northern European descent and so is my husband's family (on both sides). It seems appropriate that our semi-annual traditions revolve around those types of foods. Every year for April conference, Jared's family has prepared Swedish pancakes for breakfast Sunday morning and the resulting eating contests have been legendary.
We wanted to start our own traditions for October, so continuing with the trend, decided on abbleskeivers. This year, as I was making the traditional Danish dish for breakfast, I was struck with such an appreciation for my parents and the things they have taught me about love, life, and parenting.
I was also filled with an appreciation for Jared's parents who, at this very moment, are serving a mission in Denmark as assistants to the mission president in Copenhagen. Even though I don't talk to them as often as their other children do while they are in their mission, I do think of them often and felt close to them as I was following their traditions of preparing a special meal, eating together as a family, cleaning up while the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings in the background, and then sitting down with coloring and bingo kits to entertain the small children while we watch conference as a family. What a blessing to live during this time and to belong to such a wonderful group of parents and have such a rich heritage.
I hope as my children are growing and starting their own families, that their love of tradition (both adopted traditions and newly started ones) will continue.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:W 0285 N,Wellsville,United States

No comments: