Monday, March 25, 2013

I love Spring

I just love spring. I love the smell of wet dirt, I love that just when I have given up all hope of sunshine, warmth, and rebirth, those tiny crocus flowers emerge through the snow and give me a little more time to breathe. I love Baby Animal days in Cache Valley. I love the joy I get in watching my children play outside and roll in the grass, catch the bugs, run screaming from the bees (alright, so that is not really my favorite, but it is inevitable, so needed a mention). I love the traditions we have: St. Patrick's Day, Treasure Hunts, planting flowers and gardens. I love Easter. I, however, do not like the Easter Bunny.
This year, with the movie "The Rise of the Guardians", I am on the horns of a parental dilemma. Is the Easter Bunny real, and if so, how come he has never come to our house. Now, we have treasure hunts, lots of candy, but not the Easter Bunny. A long time ago, I decided to draw a line in the ethical/spiritual sand. I can't help the commercialization of Christmas, but I can choose Easter. So, Easter has always been about the resurrection of our Lord, Jesus Christ, and not the bunny. Now with that  dang movie, if the Easter Bunny isn't real, neither is the Tooth Fairy, Jack Frost, and Santa Claus. Now, I want my children's illusions to last as long as their innocence, and don't want to be the person that shatter's them, but also don't want to be the mother that lies bold faced to her children either. So. . . what to do. I have no idea. I would welcome ideas, of course.

On another note, I have good news to share. Since I don't get the opportunity to go to Relief Society (those dang 8 and 9 year olds get my attention instead-cute little stinkers), I thought I would share this way.




Christian is getting married. Shelby is a darling girl, we like her (which is good for us), I think she likes us (which will be good for her), and she is definitely good for Christian (which is good for everybody). We had family pictures taken and we were lucky enough that she was game to join even though she is not a Nielson yet. We did miss Miranda, Jess and Trevor, but a parent can only work with what she can control. I look forward to receiving photo's from the missing children as soon as they are able, but until then, we are as complete as we can be.
Have a marvelous spring and everybody . . . get out in the dirt and have some fun!

No comments: