Saturday, July 25, 2009

Christian Letter #3

Next letter. It actually came in the same envelope and he was getting rather frustrated with his non-letter writing mother. I was so busy at the hill, I was having difficulties getting mail off. He got a consolidated letter packet himself. I have added a few comments-as a mother, I reserve the right!

Hey there guys! How's it going. It's going great here except that guys here are being absolutely stupid. It's like every one doesn't respect the uniform here. Every time I put it on, I feel like I',m the only person different and that everyone is watching me. Sometimes it's been really scary, and other times it's great cause I know that I stand for something and that every where I go, somebody will be watching. Even when I take off the uniform. I've been having some odd dreams of late. I have been dreaming I'm in Afghanistan and I'm saving some kid and it makes me feel good to know that I'm doing something good. . . I miss you guys so much. i never knew how much that I took family for granted and I'm sorry that I did. Something that's been hard for me to adjust to is the fact that every one acts like kids and that people rip other people off. But however I think the new currency is Gatorade cause everyone will do anything for that stuff. . . Every one fights here and it's about a lot of stupid stuff and now I know how the parents felt when Jess and I fought over washing the dishes or over who got to watch TV shows . . . We had a talk today about the silence in the army and how you can use those moments to pray and how those times can help us the most. I am starting to yearn (yes he really used that word!) for those silent moments where I can come closer to knowing my Heavenly Father. I've come so close in the last couple weeks that I wonder why I ever did things to fall away from the church. I miss the surety of knowing that I'm safe and that what I'm doing is right like for example, we did another field exercise and we had word that a storm was coming. Well it came. It was really intense. It was worse than New York rain (which is really bad for those who have never had to pull off the freeway for 20 minutes so you can see to drive again because the rain is coming down sideways). I had water up to my ankles and then I prayed to be kept safe and I felt the Spirit and it told me that no harm would befall any one in my company. Well, no one got hurt but about 30 trees were definitely not so fortunate cause about 10 trees in front of us got cut down by the tornado and about 20 trees about 100 yards behind us. It was the 2ND scariest thing that's happened in my life. The first was the accident because I almost lost my mom and sisters.

We work out every day and yet I haven't gained any weight so I'm going to start working out in my free time and see if that helps me bulk up. (he is still such a scarecrow!) We started to do combatitives and it's almost muscle memory. Now when a Nielson comes to pick on me, hopefully I can give them a run for their money but who knows. Basic is more than half way over and I'm so excited for it but I'm not excited that I didn't have a bigger break between basic and AIT (which means Advanced Individual Training-I learned this), but it will be good. I'm hoping that I will be able to get home right around Thanksgiving, but who knows.
I want to see you all so badly and maybe sleep in a real bed, but at this point, I'm not going to hold my breath. I've been having some problems doing some of the stuff here. . . no I can't tell you but I can tell you that it is hard. One of our soldiers got to see his mom on the 4th and I don't think I've ever seen a guy run so fast to see his mother.
On Friday this week, I'm getting my class A's (dress uniforms). I'm really excited cause I already got a ribbon for it. I am looking for things for you guys but I'm not finding a whole lot.
Today is Tuesday and I just experienced the worst thing in my life. . .There is a soldier here who is having trouble keeping his mouth shut and the decency to keep his mouth shut on certain subjects. Many members of the team of which I was on decided to make this soldier understand that was not the way to act. . . In short, they took it upon themselves to punish the soldier. On to lighter news, I have just decided to listen to the rumors and have determined that it is a really good possibility that I'm a louder than average person :) Apparently the drill sergeants wanted to make use of that and I'm now in charge of a platoon of 15 and they listen for the most part LOL. Today we did the night fire and can I just say I now know why the army wins the wars. It's cause we get to use the coolest toys.
I'm getting better at the whole shooting thing. . . My first Sergeant is helping me with my career options with the whole special forces thing. He wants me to go Delta Force so who knows what's going to happen. . . can you get any more information about . . . (sorry had to edit that part).
The army has made me so much stronger in so many ways. Mostly in making me realize how great of a family I have and how blessed I am to have such awesome parents (now that I didn't add) and how wonderful my sisters - yes Megan and Jessica -. I care about you also even though I didn't do a very good job of showing it. Some of the fun things around here that's happened is the top secret cares for everything. . . over the years the army has come up with the cure to sleep aches, pain, hunger and everything else-all you have to do is DRINK WATER LOL. It's true. Another thing is we have a drill Sergeant that says "if you don't do . . .(fill in the blank with whatever verb you choose) . . . I'm going to busy with y'all like a pack of skittles on New Years day" LOL He's pretty funny but he pretty much wrote the book on busyness so we don't see him very often. Hmm who else to write about hmm oh the last think is how in the 3-CO battalion D company, we never say thank you or praise anything or agree by saying yes or say that we get it. Instead of saying that, we say "River Raiders" and it pretty much stands for everything like good morning and thank you, I understand, etc. so if you hear me use that, that's what it means. Well I gotta go-I love you all very much bye
PVT Nielson, Christian

Now, isn't he just the cutest thing?

No comments: