Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My Hero


To quote the funniest person in the whole world - Willy Wonka, "What do you do when your kid is a . . . brat" I feel I have given birth to a few entitled monsters. I love them all dearly, but sometimes my patience as a parent is wearing thin. My favorite talk in October's general conference was on Saturday afternoon by Elder Dallin H. Oaks, "Love and Law". It helps me re-affirm my parenting skills, when a child tells me, "If you really loved me, you would so more empathy as a parent for my situation." Well folks, empathy is all I have and I have a lot of it. I have been in that situation of a financial, spiritual, and emotional black hole that is sucking me into an increasing sized hole of despair. However, to quote Elder Oaks, "These persons disbelieve eternal laws which they consider contrary to their concept of the effect of God's love. The love of God does not supersede His laws and His commandments, and the effect of God's laws and commandments does not diminish the purpose and effect of His love. The same should be true of parental love and rules. . . Some seem to value God's love because of their hope that His love is so great and so unconditional that it will mercifully excuse them from obeying His laws. In contrast, those who understand God's plan for His children know that God's laws are invariable, which in another great evidence of His love for His children. Mercy cannot rob justice, and those who obtain mercy are 'they who have kept the covenant and observed the commandment'."
So to those children of mine who want more than empathy-follow the rules, do all you can, and the blessings will come-not just from God, but from your parents as well. And as we have discovered, those blessings include financial ones.
To those who are not my children, thank you for letting my blow a little steam. I just needed to write things down to clarify my thinking and to re-assert that I am doing my best as a parent, with the knowledge I have as a mortal. Yes, I am not perfect, but oh well. Someday. To those also struggling as a parent, I am sorry. Let's commiserate together-it helps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seriously the best talk!!! That was totally my favorite and I have quoted it quite a bit lately.....you are such a kindred spirit, I sware we must be related!!! Remind me of the talk again when I have teens and young adults, k?