Monday, January 4, 2010

The New Year . . . and all it entails.






Happy New Year. Blogging has become difficult for me. We have been struggling with out Internet provider and the speeds that they promise and don't deliver. It is exceptionally frustrating to try to blog and add pictures when the Internet connection is slower than dial-up. I feel bad if I post a blog with no pictures. Working on resolving that issue. One of the New Year resolutions, is to be a more faithful blogger. Just for my own records and peace of mind. If you are a faithful reader, this should re-assure you. If this is your first time, I am sorry I am so boring. If you are family, you have to love me anyway :)



We had a great Christmas and holiday season. Jared is the most amazing man ever and got me everything on my list. I got a kindle (which is fantastic for an avid reader like me) earrings to match the necklace I got for graduation, (if you want to see pictures, leave a comment and I will add them), and KITCHEN STUFF!!!! I can't imagine someone not being excited for things that work in your kitchen. I know, I am a dork like that!



The little kids were happy except when the stack of presents ran out. Meg got her new iPod, (her last one died after 5 years, go figure), Jess got kitchen stuff (and was NOT excited) and Chris got new glasses (his Sargent required him to get them or else-his sharpshooting score went down). Jared got a portable hard drive (that he had been asking for) and a picture to hang on his wall at the office. I always feel Jared and my gifts are a bit unequal. Either he pays for his own gift (by giving me Christmas money) or I pay for it and my budget has an ending sooner than his does. Good thing he always loves what he gets.



We had Bryan and Stephanie's family here for Christmas this year. That was nice. Of course they have been here since the end of August, so where else would they be. We have 13 living here now. It is always a party. However, the guest bedroom is still free, so don't feel that there is no room in the inn for any of you. There is always room.



For New Year's, our traditional party was great. There were 30 of us for 3 days. We only turned on the TV a couple of times, (one football game on new year's day, and a couple of movies late at night-and I mean late!) We set up the pool in the garage for the kids, would take it down to put up the ping pong table, then take it down and put back up the pool. Thank goodness for a heated garage and a boiler system for seemingly endless hot water! We played games until about 2 in the morning. Reminding me a lot of when I was younger and our family would go visit Mark and Debbie. The adults would play Uno until the wee hours always accompanied by a lot (and I do mean a lot) of giggling. It was a comforting sound of childhood. We had great food. We make prime rib, shrimp scampi, and crab legs for new year's eve. I didn't even add much more to dinner this year. A salad, some green beans, and rolls. We didn't want to detract from the protein base :) It was yummy. We loved having Spencer and Lexi with us this year. It makes us anxious for Penny and Doyle to come home from their mission so they can join us next year. Missed Sheri and Trevor (who just had a new baby) and Marci and Spencer (who I think were still in Mexico). But the rest of the Nielson siblings were present. Even Tami and Brady. What a blessing to have family that like to play together.



Well, today, routine starts back up for many of us. I don't actually start teaching until next Monday, but prep work is a killer. I have been thinking about the routine a lot the last couple of days. Many of my resolutions revolve around it. I want to be healthy this year. Well, I want to be healthy forever, but starting this year for certain. I want to stick to my budget. I want to read the Book of Mormon, cover to cover, by the 1st of July. I want to learn to enjoy the bike at 5 in the morning (and if not enjoy, at least suffer through consistently). I want to be prepared in advanced for every class instead of flying by the seat of my pants. As of today, that is the written resolution list. Hope you enjoyed it and see you next time!

No comments: